Wednesday, May 25, 2011

An old project revisited: PRESENT

I had carved this piece of limestone around 5 or so years ago and I was never happy with it.
Last year I picked it up again and started tweaking the shape here and there. Last week I finally decided to put down my chisel and sandpaper after working on and off of it for the past year.


This was called 'PRESENT'.
It's smooth and rough in some places.
It's intentionally not too spherical to be more organic to the touch.
Only if the audience feels all around it would they come across the inner parts of the cracks being smoothed as well (the underside). A present to those willing to explore it, if you will.

The piece is about how we present ourselves to the public eye.
What is eye-catching and what are others' impressions about us (our most apparent strengths and flaws).
It also looks at the notion of what is in the comfort zone of someone to share traits about themselves/ what is polite and considerate for someone to ask about another person. What's appropriate to touch in a sculpture presented to you? Should I even touch it?

One thing that I always try to avoid is to come to quick conclusions about people, no matter what my first impression of someone may be. Everyone has a story that is valid when seen through the right eyes. I have a fascination with empathy.

Personally, this was like some mental blockade that's been hanging around in the back of my head for the past 5 years because I had always wanted to 'finish' it.
It still has boatloads of parts I could refine, but then that would be me trying to cover up my past instead of carrying on.

No comments:

Post a Comment